Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
I’ve been searching for a good dog cupcake/cake recipe for years. I’ve tried a dozen recipes with no success. Too hard, too soft, too many ingredients, or not doggy friendly. Finally, after combining several recipes and experimenting with different flour, I’ve discovered the perfect recipe for doggy cupcakes. It is wheat free, so it’s great for dogs with allergies. I know your dogs will love it as much as mine do!
Makes 18-24 cupcakes (regular or mini) or a 1 layer cake
- 1.5 cups brown rice flour (find it in the baking section or organic/natural section of grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 over ripe bananas (smashed)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 brick of fat free cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter
**use small amount of unsweetened apple sauce to thin out the icing if needed
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray cupcake pan or cake pan with canola oil (or use cupcake liners)
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Mix wet ingredients, including the smashed banana, with an electric mixer
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet mixture
- Mix well until ingredients are combined (may be bumpy due to banana)
- Pour mixture into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. If baking mini cupcakes, check them at 15 minutes.
Directions for Icing
Let cupcakes or cake cool for 20 minutes before icing. Mix softened cream cheese and peanut butter with an electric mixture until well blended and spreadable. Add a small amount of unsweetened applesauce if icing needs to be thinned.
If desired, top with your dog’s favorite treat!