Homemade Cleaning Products – Safe For You and Your Pets
Have you ever attempted to read the label on a cleaning product? There is a laundry list of chemicals, most of which I can’t even pronounce. The chemicals used in household cleaners can be especially harmful to infants and pets and these dangerous toxins can be present in your home long after you use them. Worried that my OCD cleaning habit might be wreaking havoc on me and my pets, I decided to seek out another option. Through my research, I discovered that there are 3 natural and non-toxic products that can be used to clean your entire home. White vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice. Here’s how you can put these products to use around your home.
White vinegar: removes mildew and grease, deodorizes, and cleans windows and glass
- All purpose cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with 1 part water and 3 parts vinegar.
- Use vinegar water mixture to clean shower, countertops, stove top, mirrors and windows
Baking soda: cleans and polishes, deodorizes and removes stains
- To clean and deodorize garbage disposal: pour 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar down garbage disposal. Let sit for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water
- To deodorize trash can: Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the trash can to absorb odors
- To polish and clean: Make a paste with baking soda and vinegar to scrub bathroom surfaces and kitchen sink
- To deodorize carpets: Sprinkle baking soda generously on carpet and let sit as long as possible (overnight works best!) and vacuum clean
Lemon juice: disinfects, deodorizes, removes stains
- To clean and disinfect cutting boards: cut a lemon in half. Squeeze lemon juice onto cutting board and use the lemon to scrub.
- To clean countertop stains: Squeeze lemon juice onto stain and let sit for several minutes. Scrub the area until stain disappears.